Re: Minimum Specs for NVDA with Other Intensive Applications

Sarah k Alawami

I have 32 gb of ram in my system. Why? Because by the time I'm done running everything I'm running I have about 4 free. Plus it is a good idea to future proof. SSDs are good as well as it will minimize heat coming from the system. I can already tell this. I run obs, a capture card, my games, nvda, and a bit more and my system flies. If you have a capture card that takes 8 gigs of ram, so if you have 8 gigs of ram only, your system might complain at you. So for me I would build a pc thus

  1. As much ram as you can afford
  2. As much ssd drives ad you can afford
  3. The fastest processor you can afford
  4. the fastest graphics card you can afford, mine has 6 gigs of memory.

I won't touch a computer with any less than 8 to 16 gigs of memory and windows 10 pro.

On 11 Jan 2019, at 6:08, Tyler Wood wrote:

Hi,

Intel Pentium processors can run all of that just fine paired with 8 gb of ram. An i3 can run it, too. This falsehood that an i5 or i7 processor is always the answer really needs to stop.

A solid state drive, however, does make an enormous difference so investing in a machine with one, especially if you'll be keeping it long term, really is a great idea.

On 1/11/2019 9:05 AM, Gene wrote:
That is a general statement and is not correct if you run a synthesizer that is not computer intensive.  I don't know how much more work it is to run an intensive synthesizer but because of slower response time while working with one, many blind people run a very responsive synthesizer such as Eloquence for actual working with the computer.  They use one of the newer more intensive synthesizers for listening to things where they will be just listening such as reading a book.

A screen-reader when used with a synthesizer like Eloquence is not intensive.  I don't know whether an SSD increases responsiveness of the newer kind of synthesizer but my point is that you needn't buy a much more expensive machine to use a screen-reader as I've described.  If you do, and if you benefit from doing so when you use a more intensive synthesizer for everything, you then have to consider the extra money you spent on the computer as part of the cost of the synthesizer and it may be unreasonable.  I'm also not saying that getting a really fast computer would make newer synthesizers more responsive, I don't know.  I'm talking about cost/benefit.

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2019 5:19 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Minimum Specs for NVDA with Other Intensive Applications

Dear Noah & List:

Running a screenreader adds a fair bit of work to a PC as you have a software synthesizer. You could offload the work of speaking by using a hardware synthesizer such as a Doubletalk or Triple talk. Your laptop needs SSD not a mechanical hard disk with 8, 16 or 32 GB RAM. 32 GB is best if you plan to do video and/or audio editing & recording. The PC at your school may have as little as one GB RAM and a slow CPU. Giving the laptop adequate RAM ids, more important that high-performance CPU. Look for a laptop with a fast, but not necessarily Intel I8 speed. An Intel I5 or six CPU should work fine. You consume CPU cycles a lot if you do sound or video editing, recalculate mammoth spreadsheets and run many programs concurrently.
Web browsing is light work for a PC.
Download the Belarc Advisor from HTTPS://www.belarc.com. Run it on the problem computers at school. Lists the CPU chip, installed RAM, software licenses, everything worth knowing about the PC. Also gives information on the SSD or Hard Disk. Program is free for personal use.
Brian K. Lingard