Re: Minimum Specs for NVDA with Other Intensive Applications

Tyler Wood

The fact of the matter is that most of the processors these days are way overkill for just about 99% of people. General slang is that anything below an i5 or i7 quote on quote sucks. It does not. There are machines from 2010-2011 that, even in this day and age are still running reasonably well for web browsing and the like. Allow yourself some growth but there is no need to go hog wild. A nice balance is key.

Me, for instance, I have a surface book for my portable workhorse. It has 8 gb of ram and 256 gb of solid state storage. It's 4 years old now and has a 6th generation i5. It still runs beautifully and the build quality is outstanding. It came with none of the bloatware that other manufacturers send out because it is a Microsoft product.

On 1/11/2019 2:55 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 02:05 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
So for me I would build a pc thus
Sarah, you have been a voice of reason in this exchange overall.  But the central point, which only this post seems to partially miss, is that "for me" is just that.

Each and every user should carefully consider what their intended use or uses of their computer is and what those require hardware wise.  What fits you, or me, or anyone else like a glove may not fit another well.

Also, I support leaving some room for growth, too, but even the base system you described for your build is just gross overkill for my needs, and always would be in the foreseeable future (who knows, it could become utterly insufficient, but I can't see that in the near term).

Even if someone can afford the latest Intel or AMD CPU, it's an utter waste if all they're going to do is web browse, e-mail, edit some documents, and, perhaps, stream occasionally.

Tool to task, and all that.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back