Re: Minimum Specs for NVDA with Other Intensive Applications

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I had to stop reading when you mentioned 16 gb of ram on a machine for a school setting.

You wouldn't touch a machine that is a year old is fine, but please stop spouting the below as facts when it is your opinion and has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Not everyone has the finances to buy the best of the best and what is quote on quote yucky for you may suffice for someone else. My surface book is coming up on 4 years old and there is absolutely nothing wrong with its performance. A reasonable processor paired with, perhaps, slightly above average ram (8 gb, for instance) with a sufficient amount of storage. In a school environment, there is, unless video editing is involved, no need for a high end graphics card, no need for 32 gb of ram and no need for something that is not refurbished. I would recommend new if at all possible, but understand that some may not be able to afford that and that is completely fine.

On 1/11/2019 3:48 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Actually I would not let even that student touch anything over a year old. I don't care if it still works. Many companies don't support let's say a 7 year old machine the school might be giving to their students. If the school can afford it let them buy refirbs that are a year old if that is even possible as long as they have 8 or 16 gigs of ram and the students can use them for class but anything over a year old at least in terms of school settings is yucky to me.

I know a family member who is at their office still using windows I think it's 7. They refuse to upgrade the their machines are 10 years old, but what would you expect from most people who don't really care about this stuff.

If I could afford it I would replace my computers every year or 2 even though they still work. It's staying up to date with technology and going with the best if you can, at least to me.

On 11 Jan 2019, at 12:34, Brian Vogel wrote:

Sarah,

            You really seem to be spinning out over these last several posts.   This really is not about you, or your needs or wants, but trying to offer advice regarding how best to make buying decisions related to computers in general.

             It's not that your needs are wrong, but they're utterly irrelevant to what I've seen as the broader point of this whole topic.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back