Re: Minimum Specs for NVDA with Other Intensive Applications

enes sarıbaş

hi,

Brian, I couldn't have said it myself. Moving to an SSD was by far the most dramatic jump in computer performance I experienced. I wouldn't go back to a mechanical hard drive if someone paid me to do it. Like Gene, when I was on  a mechanical drive, I thought the SSD performance jump was hype. SSDs always justify the cost, and I think are the part of the ocmputer that result in the most noticable jump in speed. For instance, with a hard drive, firefox took about 10-15 seconds to load. Similarly word did as well. Now any program I click on loads instantaniously. For this reason, I have no intention of replacing this PC as it feels like a newly bought pc.

On 1/11/2019 2:53 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 06:27 AM, Darren Harris wrote:
Ssd drives as has been said do help with loading times definitely but once the programme/application is active it all comes down to ram and CPU.
Absolutely, positively incorrect in practice.   Active programs are constantly doing disc I/O of various sorts, and more importantly, so is the operating system.  The gains in speed from an SSD versus an HDD are incredibly significant to how quick things are for the end user.

And the above is coming from someone who still has only HDDs in his computers.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back