Re: Want to upgrade computer

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Farhan, Anthony, Clare, Monte & List:

Everyone seems to agree Win 7 support ends in 2020; does it really matter on the exact date? Your PC will continue to work; however, it will receive no more security or other patches. If you install a good anti-virus program such as Web Root Internet Security Everywhere, you should have no virus problems, as Web Root will continue to be updated daily.

Clare, Farhan et al: If you must switch Windows then yes, especially if your PC is 2011 vintage, this year or next is a great time to go PC shopping. Your older PC has USB 1.3 or 2.0 ports, very slow by today’s standard, USB 3.1; You should install the Belarc Advisor on your PC, see what it says the CPU chip, cores & speeds are as well as memory. Gives about everything worth knowing about your PC. Download it from HTTPS://www.belarc.com, they offer many other products, see if any are free for personal use.

What to upgrade to? I have found in owning PCs since 1983, running out of RAM rather than CPU power is the main cause of having to upgrade. In addition, being unable to use currently popular media such as 5.25 inch, HD as well as DSDD and 3.5-inch HD diskettes, then USB sticks, SD cards now good Internet connectivity, are all reasons to upgrade.

Buying Backpack® 5.25 HD and 3.5 inch HD diskette drives gave my IBM XT PC several years more working life, think it was five years.

So you do not need to further upgrade for years.

Buying a high-spec PC with the latest USB ports, large SSD, good WIFI connectivity etc. keeps your PC able to use modern programs longer

Windows. You need SSD drive if you can afford one; they are more reliable than mechanical drives. Not sure, what you consider an ordinary user. List the programs you use.

Farhan, an I3 chip is of old & slow. You want 8 GB or perhaps 16 GB RAM so you can continue upgrading windows & run newer programs, which usually want more RAM. If you want to do audio recording & editing, or work with large spreadsheets, get a fast, multi-core CPU. If you mostly web surf, word process, use small spreadsheets, you can live with an n older CPU chip.

If you want to try running Auto Cad, which is a resource hog, buy the highest spec PC you can afford. If you buy a laptop, get one with a discrete video card, this offloads the work of painting the display from the main CPU to the video card effectively this is like having a faster CPU.

If you are tired of MS and its Windows, consider running Linux or UNIX. Requires much less CPU speed, RAM etc. than Windows, is multi-tasking by nature and open source. Has a Screenreader. Has fewer virus problems than Windows.

Just a thought.

Brian K. Lingard