Re: Single key navigation on Google Chrome

Brian K. Lingard

Dear John & List:
Have you tried running this issue by the MAS Disability Answer Group? They may have again answer or escalate it to engineering for you. Brian K. Lingard

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf of John J. Boyer
Sent: January 21, 2019 2:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Single key navigation on Google Chrome

When I got my desktop machine with Windows Pro a couple of years ago, the quick navigation keys worked. When I installed Microsoft Office, they stopped working. My computer vendor tried to track down the problem, but could not. One weird think was that the quick navigation keys would work when they accessed the machine remotely, but they would not work for me at home. I got a notebook computer with Windows Home about a year ago. The vendor configured it according to my specifications. The quick navigation keys never worked.

I am glad somebody else has this problem. Maybe the developers will look into it, even though it is obscure and would be hard to replicate.

Thanks,
John

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 09:12:13PM +1300, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hmmm.

How long have you been running your installation of windows for?

This is probably an unexplained issue.

have you run dims and sac; I forget the command for dims.

Usually I just reformat.

And usually it is what I do first off.

Its usually not worth trying to research any of these issues
Especially if it is so obscure.

I mean sure, some coded component is probably damaged but unless you
Really need it like immediately then it is not worth doing.

The only situation where I had to really push it was when I had an
Emergency fix up job on a system for a family member that handled a business.

He had a 3-day deadline and he needed to get the system free of malware.

Freeing the system of malware was not the problem but fixing the damage was.

I would have usually just reformat and restored everything from the
Backup drives.

But we were not ready for that and I had no software.

I spent the next 48 hours researching, and I barely slept those two
Days, drinking at least two six packs of v every 3 hours or so to keep awake.

I got the thing fixed after searching all sorts of sites, finally
After searching some dodgy hacking sites I got a fix program which
Fixed the issue but me usually just reformat and do it properly.

Windows is far too complex if it breaks to even attempt to fix.

On 20/01/2019 5:29 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
I have had this problem for a long time and have reported it numerous
times, but nobody seems to be interested in fixing it. It is not just
with Chrome but with Firefox also. It is something in Windows that NVDA does not handle. It is not just a matter of registering dolls. I have tried that.

John

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 03:39:23PM -0600, Greg Rhodes wrote:
I just downloaded and installed Google Chrome on my PC running Windows 10, version 1809. After doing a search, I cannot get single key navigation to work (even though I have gone into browse mode). In addition, when I went to nvaccess.org via Chrome, single key navigation was not working to navigate around the NVDA website. Help. Thanks.

Greg

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org