Re: getting rid of norton security tool

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I don't have any example links for you, but if you take a look at smashwords.com, there's all kinds of books there, and there are plenty of free ones to choose from as well, just grab one, download it, unzip it, and find the proper files on your pc, then open them in your browser.  It works perfectly.  You won't have the navigation commands like previous and next chapters, but it's easy enough to either change the url in the address bar, or just use your file browser of choice to find the next one and click on it to open it for you.  Generally though, you'll not find the files at the root of the unzipped folder, as that's where all the control files are.  You'll generally find them in a folder called oebps, though the folder name can change, depending on what software was used to create the epub book.  I've seen oebps, text, html and others.  I have also seen where everything is at the top level, (though only once), so you may need to do some detective work to find the correct files, but after you locate them, it's trivially easy to load them into your browser.

Again, I must stress the fact that this method won't work with DRM encrypted files, as those are stored in an encrypted format, and your browser won't know how to decrypt the files for display.

On 1/21/2019 1:10 PM, zahra wrote:
really?
do you mean that i can read free epub books with my firefox?
can someone send me the example link?

On 1/21/19, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...> wrote:
If your epub books are DRM free, reading them is as easy as unzipping
them, and loading them into your favorite web browser. This is how I
read all of my epub books.  Then again, I refuse to pay for DRM
encrypted books if I can help it, so your mileage may vary.

On 1/21/2019 9:03 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
I think I will probably just reset the computer and wipe out
everything. But is there a good alternative to adobe digital editions
for reading epub books? or is there an adobe digital editions without
the  norton security junk?