Re: NVDA and ads blocker

Gene,
I would to know how to do it in Firefox. Please, may you explain it to us? :)

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 22/01/2019 21:16, Gene escreveu:

This would probably be considered a somewhat geeky solution but it is effective and something some people might want to know about.  I avoid a lot of problems on pages that don't require JAVA script by having it off on such pages..  Alot of what you are describing, intrusive ads, refreshing pages, videos or audio that plays, are often displayed or played by use of JAVA scripts. 

As one possible solution to the audio problem when JAVA scripts are on, I saw in one browser, it may have been Chrome, a setting that allows you to tell the browser not to play audio on web pages.  I don't recall the exact wording and it might be different such as referring to audio and videos or a variation.  Others may know about that setting.  I saw it in passing recently but I didn't try to remember anything about it. 

Increasingly, pages require JAVA scripts to work properly but on a page with an article, you usually don't need to have it on.  I can explain more how I do this reasonably efficiently in Chrome and Firefox if people want to know. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and ads blocker

I was just wandering as the web is getting more and more difficult for us visually impaired and blind person.  It is not only the ads but also videos that suddenly are launched when you are trying to read something and pages that refreshed and you are no longer where you were as what you were reading has moved.  All these annoyances make the web, at times, difficult to navigate.  My first option is coming to this fortunate list and various members have kindly provided various solutions.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Blessings

Pascal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and ads blocker

The ADA says things should be accessible.  I don't know if inconvenience ever rises to a level of a violation of accessibility laws, but it often doesn't.  I would suggest, when problems of formatting or such as you are describing now are found, that you ask if people know of ways to reduce or eliminate the problem instead of first resorting to a legal remedy which you will likely not get support for by institutions or those who bring accessibility actions and which may take a long time to be ejudicated in the court system. 

In this case, while I don't know what browser you are using , try another browser.  Also, if you do or don't want to try another browser first, Some browsers have a reading view.  If they don't, you can use an add-on.  This removes a lot of extraneous material from web pages and it may remove these long links. 

also, there is an NVDA add-on I saw discussed about a month ago that may deal with a problem like yours but I don't recall the name and it may do other things you don't like.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12:22 PM

Subject: [nvda] NVDA and ads blocker

Hi All,

Today some pages are so riddled with long links that are ads, some of which are several lines long, making reading with a screen reader very annoying and difficult.  Example of pages are Breitbart.com, wnd.com… they are becoming very common which, in my view, is a violation of the ADA that we may need to look into and report.

Is there any way to skip the ads?  Is there a freeware ads blocker that works well with NVDA?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.