Re: NVDA and ads blocker

Gene

I would think so.

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and ads blocker

Gene,
Thanks for this. Really a good tip.
In adition, I guess we also can, instead of bookmark the settings page, make a shortcut of it. That is, create a shortcut on our desktop that will put us exactly on this page when we hit enter in it.
Am I right about it?

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 23/01/2019 00:21, Gene escreveu:
This explanation is long.  It explains how to do this and gives an example of an efficient way to use this setting and how it may benefit you.

In firefox, it is a few steps to get to the place where you change the setting.  But once there, if you leave a window or tab opened, you can change it between on and off by just pressing enter in that window or tab.
Here is how you get to the setting:
In the browser address bar, type about:config.  Look at what I wrote character by character to see exactly how to type it.
Press enter.
A warning will come up.  Press the space bar.
you are now in a search field.
The first time you do this, once you are in the search field, you may want to bookmark the page for the fastest use in the future.  If you follow the bookmark, you will be on the warning message so press the space bar.

In the search field, type the following exactly as written:
pt.en
Tab once.  I think there is only one item in the results.  But if not, there will be very few.  The item you want says JAVA script default enabled or something very similar.  Select it if you are on it with the space bar or down arrow and up arrow.  Press enter.  it will then say
JAVA script user set bullian false or something similar.
It is now off.
Leave that Window opened.
Open a new window for your browsing with control n.  Or open a new tab with control t.  if you know how to move from tab to tab and from window to window, open whatever you want.

If you go to a page that requires JAVA script, move to the settings window, press enter, go back to the page and reload it with f5.  If you know in advance that the page requires JAVA script, you can change the setting and then load the page as usual in the other window or tab.
As I said in another message, many pages now require scripts to function properly.  but when you are dealing with a site where certain pages do and certain ones don't like The New York Times Site, if you do the following, you will have easier to navigate article pages.
Open the home page or another page that requires scripts.  I don't know which do and don't in general.  the home page does as does the New York Times in print page.  You can tell by experimentation and what you know about sites you have visited if the pages display as they should when scripts are off.  The Times home page doesn't show all content if JAVA is off.  It shows some and for just a quick look at some important articles, that's fine.  But perhaps thirty to forty percent of the articles can't be seen if scripts are off.  So if you want to see all the articles and read them conveniently with scripts off, do the following:
Open The times home page, for example with Scripts enabled.
Then switch to the settings window and press enter to turn scripts off.
Now go back to the other page.  Scripts will still be running on that page because it was opened before you changed the setting.  Find an article you want to read.  Use Shift enter instead of just enter.  The article will open in a new window and scripts won't be runnning.  The page may load noticeably faster and there will be considerably less interruptions on the page for things like advertising.
Once finished, close the window with alt f4.  You will be back in the home page window, just where you left off.

As I said, it's somewhat or rather geeky, but you may see benefits well worth having if you experiment and try seeing how things differ when scripts are allowed and not.

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:18 PM

Gene,
I would to know how to do it in Firefox. Please, may you explain it to us? :)

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow me on Twitter

Em 22/01/2019 21:16, Gene escreveu:
This would probably be considered a somewhat geeky solution but it is effective and something some people might want to know about.  I avoid a lot of problems on pages that don't require JAVA script by having it off on such pages..  Alot of what you are describing, intrusive ads, refreshing pages, videos or audio that plays, are often displayed or played by use of JAVA scripts.

As one possible solution to the audio problem when JAVA scripts are on, I saw in one browser, it may have been Chrome, a setting that allows you to tell the browser not to play audio on web pages.  I don't recall the exact wording and it might be different such as referring to audio and videos or a variation.  Others may know about that setting.  I saw it in passing recently but I didn't try to remember anything about it.

Increasingly, pages require JAVA scripts to work properly but on a page with an article, you usually don't need to have it on.  I can explain more how I do this reasonably efficiently in Chrome and Firefox if people want to know.

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:56 PM

I was just wandering as the web is getting more and more difficult for us visually impaired and blind person.  It is not only the ads but also videos that suddenly are launched when you are trying to read something and pages that refreshed and you are no longer where you were as what you were reading has moved.  All these annoyances make the web, at times, difficult to navigate.  My first option is coming to this fortunate list and various members have kindly provided various solutions.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Blessings

Pascal