Re: Open Office/libreOffice

Gene

I didn't write that.  That is the message I answered and I strongly disagreed with the opinion of the original poster.

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Open Office/libreOffice

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 03:40 PM, Gene wrote:
I'd rather put up with some access issues than pay for a product that must be paid for each and every year, or you loose the ability to use the program, that's just silly, and companies really be shot for introducing such nonsense.
There are so many products that use this service model, and have for many, many years now, that this comment is nonsense.

You can use Office up through 2016 (and I think even 2019) as an installed program if you wish and there will be support for same for some years to come.

You certainly must never have been a JAWS user, either, as their model is very much "as a service" if you wish to have a version of JAWS that's keeping up with "what's happening now."

I strongly prefer installed programs that I am not paying for over time, but there's nothing wrong with selling service in that way.  Buying a high-end version of Office outright is a multi-hundred dollar proposition.  It will take quite a while to equal what you'd have paid for the installed version via "as a service" delivery model and you keep getting updates as well.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back