Re: Before I fill out the survey

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning:  I have to agree with you on the focus moving in your comment.  However, I would think this thought needs to go farther.  This needs to be carried to as far as the the focus moving from where you are reading to another place in any document or web page.  This should even true for in windows settings.

Dave

On 1/23/2019 3:01 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
That is very true and of course, one also needs to set reasonable defaults as its compounded if an issue is actually du to a setting that people would not expect to affect a certain thing, but does. The one I'm thinking of is the onees regarding the switching between focus and browse mode on edit areas. Sometimes it better one way sometimes another and its hard to see how you can tell in advance which way around a given site might work best with.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:53 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Before I fill out the survey

I was also going to say that there is also value in knowing what users are
having trouble with - if it's a matter of something which has a keystroke /
setting / existing way to fix it, that's great and makes it easy to help
the individual, but us learning that people are getting stuck with
something is useful as well.  There's no point in us thinking we've solved
a problem by adding a keystroke or setting if no-one is aware it is exists
:)

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 9:00 AM Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:

I would also argue that regardless of whether there is a "way around" the
issues you're encountering, there is great value in a development team for
any product to know about issues that require "ways around" that irritate
users to no end.

Sometimes highly skilled users of certain software, not just NVDA, lose
all perspective of what the experience is like for the unsophisticated user
(and that term is not an insult, personal or otherwise, we were all
unsophisticated users of everything we've ever touched at one point in
time).   Having that input can result in improvements that would not
otherwise have been contemplated because there was no awareness of need or
desire.

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need
for illusion is deep.*

          ~ Saul Bellow, *To Jerusalem and Back*

--
Quentin Christensen