Re: bug with nvda selection

Quentin Christensen

I'm not 100% sure which bit you're attacking me for there Gene, Is this about review cursor selection taking the character to the right of the selection?

If you could please point me to the published standards for selecting text which specifically cannot be accessed with a text cursor, I will create an issue and raise it with Mick at the earliest opportunity....

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 1:42 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
That goes against good design and against the philosophy behind the design of NVDA.  Selecting text should follow the same principle as when you select by character with the application cursor in Windows.  On what basis was it decided that NVDA should have its own selection rules that are completely nonstandard?  Why not give blind people enough credit to believe that they can select correctly using screen review commands?

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] bug with nvda selection

Because you may not be able to move past the last character with the review cursor, as you usually can in say Word, NVDA selects the character beyond the last one selected to ensure you get everything.  Because of that, it works slightly differently to regular copy, but that's the reasoning.  But yes, you do need to press NVDA+F9, then select all (but the last character) of the text you want to copy first.  Then press NVDA+F10 twice quickly to select and copy.

Kind Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 4:21 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
This isn't a bug.  You must move to the last letter of the last word before copying to the clipboard.  If you are moving by word, you are moving to the beginning of the word and must move by character to the last character.

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:15 AM
Subject: [nvda] bug with nvda selection

hi,

When I use NVDA+f9 to select, and move to a word, and press nvda f10 to
copy, NVDA only copies the first letter of the last word selected. Does
anyone else experience this or know of a solution?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess