Re: rescue disc for the blind?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes can be a good idea. We could not do that as the software had hard coded drivers for specific printers in a database but generally if those considerations are not the issue an old Inspiron can work very well.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2019 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] rescue disc for the blind?

I probably wouldn’t try and rescue the computer I would take the hard drive out of it and connect it to a working computer and extract the documents
A good few years ago I did do voluntary work fixing old computers sometimes it’s been three days getting it working and then it will just crash
I no longer do this sort of volunteering
I wonder if you could approach a recycling computer place and find a more recent machine for the person
I have used recycled computers for a while now
Regards Ian
On 2 Feb 2019, at 12:26 pm, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:

I have had ram sticks fail, and ports fail.

I have had also got things that just went with unexpected results.

A video card or tv card can do dammage a lot of that.

A busted user profile to but who knows.

On 2/02/2019 8:11 AM, Gene wrote:
I suspect the problem is hardware-related unless something very unusual happened such as a power failure during a defrag or some other maintenance that moves information around such as check disk. You may find something you can use as you wish but before putting much time and effort into working with the machine, I think a sighted person should say what the screen states. For all we know, this could be a motherboard problem and the machine may not even get to the point where BIOS is being loaded. Or it may be a hard drive problem.

Gene
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2019 12:38 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] rescue disc for the blind?

A friend has an old DELL XP that, as he puts it, finally crashed. When I pressed for more detail, all he could tell me was that windows wasn't loading and JAWS wasn't coming on. After 20 minutes trying, and failing, to extract some more useful information, I finally resolved to trying to locate a recovery disc image, an image that had a lot of tools to possibly repair the system or transfer files from the hard drive to an external place. I could not find any for the blind. Could someone direct me to similar recovery disc images that have speech output or similar? Thanks in advance. He does not have his initial XP recovery disc.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.