Re: Mouse Navigation with NVDA - Do you use it? Do you like it?

Jacob Kruger

Brian, while don't honestly use it too often, the one true advantage NVDA has in this context is that it actually reads out what's under the physical mouse cursor, as wel l as letting you manipulate it using keystrokes, whereas jaws will only let you use the virtual jaws cursor, so, yes, at times NVDA's mouse cursor implementation offers something you can't work with any other way.

And, the audio tracking sound is an excellent way to keep track of approximately where the cursor is as well, what with stereo panning, and pitch differences, etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-03-09 5:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
The subject pretty much says it all. One of the most interesting
features of NVDA from this sighted guy's perspective is mouse tracking,
which announces what's under the mouse pointer, used in conjunction with
the NVDA left and right click keystrokes (or the actual left and right
click buttons on a mouse or mousepad).

By moving the mouse around the screen you get an experience that strikes
me as far more like what someone who can see gets when they're scanning
a webpage quickly to see if there's anything that interests them. Of
course, it takes some getting used to, and you'll probably have to do
some adjustments on mouse behavior (speed and distance of movement,
coasting, and others) to get mouse movement that's comfortable for you.

I'm just curious as to who may be using this method to cruise around the
screen, and for any program, not just web browsers, and what your
experience was like learning how to use this feature and these methods.
I realize that there are certain applications and contexts where this
would be way more trouble than it's worth, too, and opinions on where
it's worth using and not would be interesting.

My gut tells me that it will be a small cadre that uses this feature
set, but I'm trying to decide whether it's something worth trying to
teach up front or not. There's nothing like asking those who do use it,
or have tried to use it, as a functional navigation alternative to help
shape my thoughts on this.