From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2019 4:11 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is NVDA really dying? Can I do anything to help?

Sadly, thats just some ignorant people being the helpless blind type
thing<grin>

Actually this stuff goes on more than the blind.

There are some people that assume to much even in organisations.

X software is cheaper than y software which is better but we are the
bosses and the techs don't know what they are talking about.

I had an admin of a large educational institute who has since left now.

THe institute switched from government control to its own control under
a new educational union itself under its own control.

There were a lot of people to comfortable with their positions thats
probably changed, anyway, they were happy rubber stamping anything and
as long as the price was good or they would have an advantage from it
then it worked.

I was told of things like repairs that were cheap to computers to well
software not secure but that was cheap so it was brought, and that no
one seem to read up on things before jumping in.

You can actually be totally fine in this day and age being a helpless
retard, blind or not.

But if it screws up then you are the headless chicken.

Sadly there are a lot of people, blind, disabled, sightlings that are
that way, its probably human nature, I even have family like this so I
should know.

Even those that are smart my only conclusion, is that even if you are
smart there is a certain type of smarts to use a computer effectively,
and a lot of probably don't have it, or at least not all we should.

I have it but I know I do lack in some places.

My father is partly this way, smart enough but never reads more than
half a screen.

A simple task may have him on the other side of the net, not knowing
where he went and or how he got there.

On 3/02/2019 4:50 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

There were like five people or more agreeing with each other about
this, some of whom I consider friends and who I believed to be honest
people. So when they were saying stuff like this I got anxious...

On 3/02/2019 2:42 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 09:46 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

crying doom and saying Jaws was performing better than NVDA.

And? There have been times where either one was generally more
responsive than the other, and there are still specific tasks where
one is more responsive than the other. Tis' part and parcel of
complex software like a screen reader.

Given the nature of NVDA, I doubt they'd disappear without a long
(and public) fight first. This strikes me very much in the same vein
as Mark Twain's observations regarding rumors of his death: "Reports
of my death are greatly exaggerated."

*/A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
need for illusion is deep./*

~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/