Re: Meandering NVDA Miscellany (including that it's alive and well)

Tony Malykh

Not much point to argue with you, but:
1. Mike said 64-bit build is needed to work with 64-bit java. That's the only real argument. Performance may improve ever so slightly, or it might stay the same, or I've even seen cases when programs run slower in 64-bit mode due to higher memory consumption. In either case judging by my own experience it's not a big deal.
2.
> joseph wrote a version of nvda with SSE2,
Show me.
3. You're confused between multi-threading and multi-processing. If you want to do multi-processing - that would require some kind of communications between processes. And worst of all - I don't see why NVDA would need multiple processes and how it would benefit from it.
In any case, trying to convince people on the Internet is a really stupid idea, so I'll probably stop here.
--Tony

On 2/4/2019 2:43 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:

I was not trying to spread panic.  Your asertions about 64 bit and SSE2 as well as multithreading are false. NVDA devs accknowledge that they do not know for  sure that switching to pure 64 bit won't improve performance, that is why they list it as a possible project that can be undertaken in google summer of code.Also, nvda does not use multithreading, in that all functions of nvda run in a single process, with the exception of the helper. Moreover, when joseph wrote a version of nvda with SSE2, people reported that it had a massive performance increase.

On 2/4/2019 10:09 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:

enes
You are one of those people who're trying to spread the panic, aren't you?
As for 64 bit, this is not the first time on this mailing list that you're complaining about. The truth is that there is no need to switch to 64-bit as it is not likely to increase performance or support of other software. So please stop using 64-bit support as the reason for imminent decline of NVDA. NVDA devs are not going to work on this just because you want it.
In another thread on this mailing list you also mentioned that NVDA should use SSE and multithreading. That's another ridiculous statement of yours. SSE is for floating point computations and therefore it's not applicable to NVDA. Multithreading is already being used in NVDA.
So, stop complaining. and stop spreading panic.

--Tony

On 2/4/2019 12:55 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:

hi,

I will comment on this. While NVDA isn't dieing, development has certainly slowed down considerably since Jamy left the project. NVDA is falling behind jaws in adopting some newer introduced technologies, e.g, 64 bit, UIA support for office, which jaws has implemented completely for all office apps etc. Therefore the concern which was also expressed on the dev list is certainly understandable.

On 2/4/2019 8:52 PM, David Moore wrote:

This is just one issue showing that you cannot believe everything you hear.

Especially on computer groups and lists, there is a lot of fake roomers!

Fake news is getting very dangerous in every area of our lives!

We must research what we hear, and consider the source!

David Moore

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10