From: "erik burggraaf" <erik@erik-burggraaf.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 12:59 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Interesting news

Hmmm, Well I don't agree that there wouldn't be anything in buying nvda for microsoft. Right now, microsoft is spending a lot of money to re-invent the wheel. Narrator was one of the first screen readers built into an operating system, and even in windows 10, look how far it hasn't come. Accessibility doesn't really make apple very much money, especially not compared to what they spend on developing it. The accessibility allows apple to keep it's high end government and education contracts and that's why we have it. The fact that it's state of the art is great for us, and that tim cook gets to pat us on the head at wwdc is great for apple and everybody wins. It's not for us though and never will be. As long as it works, I'm willing to tollerate being a turtiary target market for the products I purchase.

As far as NVDA goes, I can't disagree with corporate sponsorship from companies using NVDA in the workplace as long as narrateor continues to be unviable. That doesn't really solve the problem though which is that at the core, windows is inherantly inaccessible, and will continue to be so until it has a full suite of high quality accessibility features built in. Incorporating nvda directly would be a huge piece in that puzzle.

Best,

Erik
Erik Burggraaf
Visit the out of work bum for your chance to win one of 10 KNFB Reader or Nearby Explorer for IOS or android!
http://www.theoutofworkbum.work
Also check out my website for inclusion to the android platform for persons with sensery, physical or cognitive disabilities:
http://www.inclusiveandroid.com

On Jun 14, 2016, at 1:09 PM, Antony Stone <Antony.Stone@nvda.open.source.it> wrote:

What's in it for Microsoft to bother with such a move?

Do they sell more copies of Windows? Very very marginally, perhaps. They
seem to be giving Windows away for nothing these days anyway.

Will they gain market share over the competiton (ie: Apple)? I don't think so
- Apple has a very good screen reader built in to iOS, and people who like
Apple will continue to use Apple; those who like Windows will continue to use
Windows.

No, NV Access doesn't need to be bought by Microsoft - it needs investment
from a company which can get NVDA used by the big corporates and public sector
who currently pay for JAWS licences, but could do so much better with an open
source licence-free solution.

As with all open source software, the market is in support, not in supplying
it in the first place (look at Red Hat and their business model). Microsoft
has nothing to gain by acquiring NV Access, but someone with a brand name
behind them (so that they get taken seriously by large employers) and the
facilities to provide support for NVDA could do very well, both for themselves
and for NV Access.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

Antony.

On Tuesday 14 June 2016 at 21:07:44, erik burggraaf wrote:

Microsoft should buy NVDA for a huge sum of money and hire mic and James to
head the project. Narrater should be scrapped and NVDA should be built
into windows.
--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it didn't work.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.