Narrator in Windows 7 was a joke. Not even worth talking about in my opinion. It could read its own introduction screen and not much more. LOL! Microsoft Anna was a decent enough text to speech voice, but she worked better in NVDA as a SAPI 5 voice rather than windows' joke of a screenreader they called Narrator.

Brian V is correct. The name of the Windows native screenreader should probably be changed. Otherwise we'll be educating people for years who remember the joke that first debuted, to the best of my knowledge, in Windows xp.

Travis

On 2/8/2019 1:42 PM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

I’m assuming Narrator in windows 7 was in the settings app? I don’t think my machine even had a settings app.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of bob jutzi
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 3:30 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA, JAWS, compared to Narrator

Yes.  Windows 7 had Narrator.

On 2/8/2019 3:29 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 03:06 PM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Do you guys know if Windows 7 had Narrator? I had a windows 7 machine but I can’t recall if it had Narrator.

There's been a version of Narrator around for a very long time.  Prior to Windows 10 it really was a joke.

Microsoft started taking accessibility much more seriously starting with Windows 8, with lots of refining occurring after that (and still ongoing).  Even Narrator in Windows 10 prior to Version 1809 is not the same animal as Narrator now (with now being Version 1809).

Hence my reaction earlier about talking about things that have the same name, under different versions of Windows, being senseless.  Even talking pre-1809 and post-1809 Narrator in Windows 10 is, if not apples and oranges, is kumquats and oranges.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back