Re: NVDA, JAWS, compared to Narrator

Sarah k Alawami

Windows 2000 had sam. I remember using it on someone's very old computer in 2004. I think it was baught in 98? I wouldn't know as I was not around then at this person's house.

On 8 Feb 2019, at 18:09, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

What voice did windows 2000 have for narrator? I jumped from XP to windows 7 and that system had Microsoft Anna.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 3:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA, JAWS, compared to Narrator

all windows from xp had narator.

But to be honest, narator on anything before 10 wasn't much good, aparently windows 2000 had narator and aparently it was usable then but who knows.

On 9/02/2019 9:06 AM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Do you guys know if Windows 7 had Narrator? I had a windows 7 machine but I can’t recall if it had Narrator.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brad Snyder
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 2:38 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA, JAWS, compared to Narrator

The “Wayback Machine”, eh?  Love it.

- Brad -

On Feb 8, 2019, at 12:25, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I am running Win10, Version 1809, Home, 64-bit and just tested with Word 2010 and Word 2016.

Narrator will not read document text in Word 2010, but will read it in Word 2016.  This is really not surprising, as Microsoft is not going to try to reach into the wayback machine to ensure infinite backward compatibility between Narrator, which came on the scene with Windows 8, and versions of Office that far predate that OS.

If someone has Word 2013 it would be interesting to know whether Narrator works with it.  This was the first version of Word that has a "look and feel" that's very similar to that in use today.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.