Re: NVDA, JAWS, compared to Narrator

To be honest, jaws is a screen reader.

Nvda is what narator should have been a basic screen reader with extra features.

Narator is well, people call it a screen reader.

Thats true if its an ms app, but it doesn't do everything, even nvda does more than that.

But this poster is right, narator carries such a stigma with it that when it finally gets good, its name carries a crappy past.

I would rely on narator for some stuff but its more limited than nvda.

The only reason nvda is better than jaws and others in most respects is because it uses the os for most of its access and not some interseptor.

I am unsure why the rest don't inovate but neither jaws or dolphin seem to be moving fast, or in the case of jaws like microsoft seem to be trying to reinvent themselves all the time with stuff that makes you shake your head.

For nvda what I can see as advantage is mainly the speed of development, and the fact if say I want a feature, I put it out there and see.

Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not, and if a user wants to experiment they can go here is this thing, does it work or is it crap.

And then its a hit, no strings.

Look at toolbars explorer.

I remember when it was an idea.

It caught on so quick.

Firstly it was an idea.

By the end of the day an item, 2 days, something that could be something.

A week later it was something, and a month or so later its a really good thing that is making a mark.

There is no high pricetag to get that extra module for no reason or extra licence to access another windows addition without any new features.

There is no lagging behind with things.

Everyone has advantages for and against but still.

On 9/02/2019 6:29 PM, Kwork wrote:

Narrator in Windows 7 was a joke. Not even worth talking about in my opinion. It could read its own introduction screen and not much more. LOL! Microsoft Anna was a decent enough text to speech voice, but she worked better in NVDA as a SAPI 5 voice rather than windows' joke of a screenreader they called Narrator.

Brian V is correct. The name of the Windows native screenreader should probably be changed. Otherwise we'll be educating people for years who remember the joke that first debuted, to the best of my knowledge, in Windows xp.

Travis

On 2/8/2019 1:42 PM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

I’m assuming Narrator in windows 7 was in the settings app? I don’t think my machine even had a settings app.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of bob jutzi
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 3:30 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA, JAWS, compared to Narrator

Yes.  Windows 7 had Narrator.

On 2/8/2019 3:29 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 03:06 PM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

Do you guys know if Windows 7 had Narrator? I had a windows 7 machine but I can’t recall if it had Narrator.

There's been a version of Narrator around for a very long time.  Prior to Windows 10 it really was a joke.

Microsoft started taking accessibility much more seriously starting with Windows 8, with lots of refining occurring after that (and still ongoing).  Even Narrator in Windows 10 prior to Version 1809 is not the same animal as Narrator now (with now being Version 1809).

Hence my reaction earlier about talking about things that have the same name, under different versions of Windows, being senseless.  Even talking pre-1809 and post-1809 Narrator in Windows 10 is, if not apples and oranges, is kumquats and oranges.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.