From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 08 February 2019 21:54
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems With NVDA

I'm saying from personal experience that I had an XP machine that ran well on 512mb.  Maybe if I had run memory intensive programs, and had programs working in the background, it might not have but for browsing, streaming, e-mail, Openbook, and other typical uses, it ran well.  It was faster than my XP machines with more memory; maybe the chip had more caching.

My point is not to argue just to argue, but I don't want those who are running 32bit Windows to assume that performance problems are caused by memory.

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 2:14 PM

Xp would run on 1gb, but it didn't run well.  windows 7 plus won't run well on 2gb.  I have 4 in my windows 8.1 machine, and most of the time it behaves ok, but at times when I have things going on in the background while doing other things, even that bogs down.

XP can certainly run on 512MB, Heck, I ran it on 256MB at times, though it's not recommended.  My personal experience is that windows is not happy with less than 4GB once you get out of the XP stage.

On 2/8/2019 2:40 PM, Gene wrote:

Are you basing these comments on personal experience of running 32bit Windows with 2GB?  That is 1Gb over the Microsoft minimum.  I don't agree with your assessment.  I had a Windows XP machine with only 512MB of RAM and it ran well.  I have a 32GB Windows 7 laptop with 4GB of RAM.  It runs well.

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 12:50 PM

Sure it is, if you don't multitask, (have multiple programs open at once), leave programs open for hours at a time, and reboot regularly (meaning every day or two), and don't run programs like microsoft office which has some memory leaks that tend to eat memory the longer they're left open.  For some values of normal usage, yes, 2GB is fine, but for the rest of us, 2GB barely qualifies as enough to run windows os by itself.  Tablets are different, since they have a (slightly) different version of windows that optimizes memory usage, but normal windows, under normal usage patterns, it will not be happy with only 2GB of ram, because it will have to swap a lot, and that will slow things down.  There's a reason computers seem to appear so much faster when upgraded from 2 to 4GB of ram in every single case I've seen, and it's because memory swapping doesn't have to occur nearly as often, and that makes the system much faster overall.  Sure, you can get along with 2GB of ram, but it's like driving a bicycle to get around as opposed to a motorcycle.  Sure, the bicycle will work, but the motorcycle is considerably faster, and can do things the bicycle can't.  Same thing with 2 vs. 4 GB of ram on windows.

Don't fool yourself, there's a reason windows states 2GB as a minimum, it's just that, the minimum required to run the os.  That doesn't mean the os will run optimally or even perform adequately, just that it will run.

On 2/8/2019 5:54 AM, Gene wrote:

That is not true.  2GB is fine for 32bit versions of Windows.

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 10:27 PM

umm, you're confusing ram and storage.  An SD card won't give you more
ram, that will only provide more external storage.  swapping SD cards
allows you to copy more files to those cards, but does nothing for your
RAM, which is where programs run.  2GB is poretty low for any version of
windows, except if you're using a tablet, there's not much you can do
about it. If you're on a pc, it's (usually) easy to upgrade the ram in
the computer, providing you have empty slots or the ram you have isn't
maxed out.  Most machines can only take a limited amount of ram, and you
need to know what that limit is before trying to upgrade the machine.
However, though I don't know for sure, it sounds to me like you're
talking about a tablet, in which case, the ram isn't upgradable.