Re: Some mouse navigation questions

Tony Malykh

I think what you would like to know is how to switch between the equivalent of PC Cursor (which is I believe called System Focus in NVDA) and equivalent of Jaws cursor (which is called review cursor or review mode in NVDA). If that's your question, then here is the answer. You don't have to switch between them in NVDA - they coexist. You just use the main inverted T-shaped arrow keys to move system focus and you can use numpad keys to move review cursor. Typically, you only need to use review mode cursor only in places where system focus cannot go. Review cursor is tethered to system cursor by default. Also the numpad keystrokes to control review cursor are very different from Jaws numpad keystrokes, but you can read more in NVDA documentation. Other than that, the two modes in Jaws and NVDA are very similar.

HTH

--Tony

On 2/9/2019 10:52 AM, Jed Barton wrote:
how do you go between object and screen navigation?

The equivalent to the JAWS cursor is screen review mode. There is also
object navigation which, according to what I've heard and read is equivalent
to the touch cursor in NVDA. To read about screen review, you can look at
the user guide

You can look at the user guide for information about object navigation but
you would probably be better off using a tutorial. I'll let list members
discuss which tutorial they like that deals with the subject.

You can click the mouse once you move to something using object navigation
or screen review mode. Use the command NVDA key slash, the mouse left click
key in JAWS and NVDA. That moves the mouse to your current position in
object navigation or screen review, whichever you are using. Then press
slash again, which iss left click, as I said.

I can tell you where to look in the user manual but if you want me to, ask
and I'll do so in another message. I'd have to look it up.

Also, if you don't know them, you need to know screen review keys such as
numpad 8 read current line in review, numpad 7, move to and read previous
line. and the rest.

Also, remember to always go back to object navigation after using screen
review. Certain things won't work as they should if you don't.