Re: Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

MAX <max@...>

Thanks to help from you and others I have figured it out.  I’m not happy with the modern way of doing menus but I know they aren’t going to change it because of that.  The point is moot so let’s close out this branch of the Microsoft’s own etc. thread.   For my part I’m not going to answer any more messages in this thread.  Thank you to all who helped and tried to help.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Antique Electronics Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 6:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

I'm not sure what you are describing.  If you press alt and right arrow through the menu titles, you should find a book marks menu.  If you don't, I'm not sure why but perhaps maximizing the program would show it. 

Have you created any book marks with the word help as part of the title?  If you search for the word help, the list will show any bookmark with the letters help in it, whether those letters occur at the beginning, middle, or end, anywhere in the string of characters. 

It sounds to me as though you may be trying to search the help system instead of bookmarks but I can't tell just what you are doing.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 3:31 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

Hi Gene.

I called it up the way you told me.  Obviously the bookmarks aren’t secret but they must be called something else in the menu because there is nothing called bookmarks in the Firefox open menu.  I did find this time that if I down arrow through the list nvda does announce sub menu on items marked with a folder icon.  I tried to find out on my own how to search for something in the bookmarks.  I selected help and typed search in bookmarks.  The list of topics seemed only tangentially  related to my question.  That has been my experience with help files in general ever since I started using a PC.  It seems I don’t type the correct words to bring up the correct help file.  So please tell me how to search the bookmarks beginning at the beginning.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 12:12 PM

As far as folder, I don't know how you are opening book marks.  If you open them the way I described, I think it presents a structure like that in Internet Explorer.  But as I said, and I'll add a bit here, if you want to find a bookmark and you remember a word or phrase that won't be repeated at all or much in other bookmarks, you can use the search bookmarks feature.  You can type, for example, rk times or rk and the letters ti to find new york times bookmarks.  I'll explain the feature more if you want to know. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 11:46 AM

Hi Gene.

You have been mostly helpful to me in the past so I’ll be civil to you.  If you understand how I work with a computer and screen reader maybe you’ll be a little more understanding. 

I have some vision and a magnifying glass mounted in glasses frames so I can use it hands free.  It helped me get through the university of Florida E E program, 35 years of employment, and it still serves me in retirement.   Using this magnifier I can see the contents of a circle about ½ inch in diameter.  I can see icons and the contents of menus.  If I have more than 3 or 4 words to read I turn the job over to a screen reader.  Most makers of screen readers assume that people are totally sighted or totally blind with nobody between.  I think the statistics of blind and visually impaired say just the opposite.  I am aware that nvda developers have acknowledged this through the mouse tracking feature.  I have it turned on and use it all the time.  The play audio coordinates when mouse moves would be useful to me if the tones were not so loud.  I couldn’t find a volume control that would effect only the tones.  Sorry for the digression. 

Now to the current problem.  I have spent a lot of time visually looking through the menu in fire fox and have never seen the one that is invoked by alt B.  How do the fully sighted know about this Easter egg?  Now that I know this secret I will use it regularly to manage my bookmarks.  Furthermore When I have the bookmarks open nvda reads each line of the menu but makes no distinction between direct links and folders.  A fully sighted person can see the menus that pop up on the right side of the list of bookmarks but nvda makes no announcement of folder.

You wrote of a search bookmarks feature.  I haven’t visually seen  that one in the menu either.  How does it work? 

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 11:21 PM

What do you mean by the management is almost nonexistent?  You can move bookmarks around in Firefox.  I assume you can in Chrome as well.  Instead of assuming something isn't available or doesn't exist, ask here or get some sort of documentation or tutorial.  You'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Open the bookmarks menu with alt b.

Move to a bookmark in Firefox.  Open the context menu.  Down arrow to cut.  Press enter.

Then move to where you want the bookmark to be.  Open the context menu and find paste.  Press enter.

The bookmark has been moved.

However, I almost never move or organize bookmarks in Firefox because of the very good search for bookmarks feature.  If you are interested, I'll describe it.

Gene

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 10:01 PM

The management of favorites in chrome and Firefox is almost nonexistent.  I use explorer to update and manage my favorites file.   Why can’t programmers leave things alone. Especially things that work.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:39 PM

You may not find ways that work as well to use those sites.  You may continue using Internet Explorer with them.  It’s the browser you use as the main browser that is the issue, not the browser you use for occasional accessibility purposes with this or that site. 

Gene

From: Rosemarie ChavarrFrom: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Clarissa Mitchell
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 5:10 PM

I hardly use IE anymore at all. For me, it's either Chrome or Firefox.
There were one or two site-specific functions I still had to use IE for because of one thing or another, but I'm going to find a way to access those sites with Chrome, which is my main browser. I'm still working on that. I haven't used IE as my main browser in ages. I don't understand why people are even still using that browser; it's outdated and, at least on my more recent computers, slow as a snail! To me, there's really not that much difference in using one of the other browsers, from a screen reader standpoint anyway. You can still use a lot of the same navigation commands. I don't know about Edge; I haven't used it much, but as far as I can tell, Chrome and Firefox work great with NVDA.

On 2/8/19, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
> Article that came out today in The Telegraph newspaper in the UK:
>
>           Stop using Internet Explorer, warns Microsoft's own security
> chief (
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/02/08/stop-using-internet-
> explorer-warns-microsofts-security-chief/
> )
>
> If that doesn't convince people that the shelf life of IE is now
> expired, nothing will.
> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
> need for illusion is deep.*
>
>           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.