Re: Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

Gene

You can make searching very complicated but it is usually unnecessary.  Its good to know about quotes and using plus or minus if you want to limit a search at times but for most searches, this is unnecessary. 

Search engines are consumer products.  They want to make searches effective for those who know nothing about searching using such variables.  If I want to search for something, I usually get good results just by searching for what I want to find, no alterations, no signs added.  For example, if I want to search for information about the book Oliver Twist, if I simply type Oliver twist and if I want to find articles dealing with literary critism, I may type critique or criticism or critic, I'd have to experiment because (I haven't searched for that description so often that I'm sure what might get the best results, I can find all sorts of information.  If I want more general information, I might type Oliver Twist Wikipedia.  Or Oliver Twist Britanica.  Or even just Oliver Twist and nothing else would probably provide a variety of results.

If I want to find a song on Youtube, I just type the name of the song followed by Youtube.  I seldom have to do anything else. 

Many people are needlessly intimidated by searching.  Keep in mind that we are in a completely different era than in the early days of the Internet.  We are dealing with a consumer product and that as such, it is designed to guess about what people are searching for who know nothing about anything except the most elementary way to search.  That's how consumer products are.  If they can be simplified over time, they will be. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:44 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

Well there are books in searching, but you can control your search engine.

putting quotes round the items to search will search spacifically for that item online and nothing else.

You can add plus or minus simbles to search for extra items or not search for items.

Wildcards like * can be used, now there are various books on the net search thing, I forget where they can be gotten.

Your local blind organisation may have courses to teach people how to use computers that are blind.

And sone of those could deal with the net, and searching.

Some universities and other places may have them to and these can be usually free or low cost so I would recomend doing one of those if you want that is.

Search engines can be and have been quite smart for an age now, but they can get something wrong from time to time.

There have been a few massive foulups by google and others.

On 10/02/2019 2:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 06:46 PM, MAX wrote:
I’m not used to using web wide search engines to find information about a specific program.  Apparently it works better than searching within the program’s own help system. 
Some of my dearest friends are over 70 and 80, so the age thing carries no weight with me.

You have, however, hit upon a really valuable piece of information, that deserves reinforcement:  It most often works better to do a web search, using either reasonable keywords or an actual natural question, to get information on specific programs and features.  There are tons of people who've "been where you are now" no matter the you or the where, and a great many have generated tutorials or just descriptions of what they did that will generally be far more helpful than quite a few formal help systems are.

Not that one shouldn't avail oneself of a given program's help, too, but I generally go there second because finding things can be challenging - often times unnecessarily so.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.