From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bhavya shah
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 1:37 PM
To: nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Cc: bhavya.shah125@...
Subject: [nvda] Fn Key Issues

Dear all,

I apologize for this not being strictly NVDA related, but more in regards to adapting to a keyboard which poses unique challenges in the issuance of NVDA key commands. I recently purchased an external keyboard which was overall great value for money, apart from one pestiferous problem.

To emulate the Home, End, Page Up and Page Down functions, I need to press the Function (Fn) key in conjunction with the arrow keys. This is not atypical for me as I need to do this even on my built in laptop keyboard. However, on my laptop, I am absolutely used to pressing Ctrl followed by Function followed by right arrow for Ctrl+Home, whereas on this new external keyboard, I need to hold down Function first, and then press keys like Ctrl and right arrow. This is getting particularly problematic since my brain is wired to use the Function key preceding an arrow key only when I want to select an entire line or page as opposed to holding down Function first and foremost, and then pressing things like NVDA modifier+Shift+right arrow to read the status bar.

Is there any way - software settting or device setup or otherwise - by which I can get this external keyboard to act similar to my laptop keyboard, in that I need to press the Function key only before the arrow keys or the key whose secondary function will be induced as opposed to the first key in any multi-key combinaition?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in this regard.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah