From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bhavya shah
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2019 1:37 PM
To: nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Cc: bhavya.shah125@...
Subject: [nvda] Fn Key Issues

Dear all,

I apologize for this not being strictly NVDA related, but more in regards to
adapting to a keyboard which poses unique challenges in the issuance of NVDA
key commands. I recently purchased an external keyboard which was overall
great value for money, apart from one pestiferous problem.

To emulate the Home, End, Page Up and Page Down functions, I need to press
the Function (Fn) key in conjunction with the arrow keys. This is not
atypical for me as I need to do this even on my built in laptop keyboard.
However, on my laptop, I am absolutely used to pressing Ctrl followed by
Function followed by right arrow for Ctrl+Home, whereas on this new external
keyboard, I need to hold down Function first, and then press keys like Ctrl
and right arrow. This is getting particularly problematic since my brain is
wired to use the Function key preceding an arrow key only when I want to
select an entire line or page as opposed to holding down Function first and
foremost, and then pressing things like NVDA modifier+Shift+right arrow to
read the status bar.

Is there any way - software settting or device setup or otherwise - by which
I can get this external keyboard to act similar to my laptop keyboard, in
that I need to press the Function key only before the arrow keys or the key
whose secondary function will be induced as opposed to the first key in any
multi-key combinaition?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in this regard.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah