Re: A couple of questions

Ashleigh Malone

Hi Quenyin,

Thanks so much for your reply.

As you suspected, restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled allowed me to interact with the settings dialogue and change settings. When I restarted NVDA with add-ons again, the changes I made in settings were honoured, which is exciting as I now have an NVDA key again. I will investigate the add-on updater add-on to see if I can isolate which of my add-ons is causing this but am happy with this workaround for now.

Kind regards,
Ashleigh

On 7 Feb 2019, at 1:38 pm, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Ashleigh,

I know we have many users who run NVDA on a Mac and use VMWare Fusion.  It's not something I'm really familiar with, so I will leave that question to those more adept with that setup.

For your second question, the settings screen certainly shouldn't be freezing like that.  I would be interested in a copy of your NVDA log to try and get to the bottom of it.

One thing to try is to restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.  Press NVDA+Q as if you were going to quit, then down arrow to "Restart with add-ons disabled" and press ENTER.  See if the settings screen behaves normally now.  If it does, you likely have an add-on that either needs updating to a newer version (there is an add-on updater add-on to help with this) or which is otherwise misbehaving.

Email to me at info@... (you can share to the list of you want, but if you do that, copy the contents into the body of the message, as you can't attach files when sending to the list).

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 12:52 PM Ashleigh Malone via Groups.Io <ashleigh.malone=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

A couple of questions.

I’ve recently changed my work set-up to allow me to work remotely. I am primarily a Mac user, however am happily using  NVDA with VMware Fusion. My questions relate mainly to setting up Capslock as an NVDA modifier key and making VMWare and windows generally work together. I have read extensively about this but am not having much joy. I feel sure this has been discussed extensively on this list and will do my own searching, but if anyone could post links to pertinent threads I’d be grateful.

My second issue is more confusing. I have a portable copy of NVDA that I have recently installed  natively on my windows machine. I am having a great deal of trouble changing the layout from desktop to laptop, or modifying any of the other settings eg. Level of punctuation etc. I can successfully change settings using keyboard commands, however whilst in the preferences dialogue both the apply and okay buttons just hang and my only option is to esc the settings dialogue completely. I find it odd that it will honour actions achieved using keyboard commands but not in the settings dialogue itself. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashleigh

--
Quentin Christensen