Re: Need help learning Braille

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Gene, Sociohack & List:

Contracted Braille is what most books & magazines are published in. Has about 150 short form words, two—cell signs and single-cell signs.

For example in grade II the word braille is written as brl; knowledge is “k, the quote mark representing a dot-5 followed by the letter K. Just is the letter j by itself.

Braille Shorthand used by Stenographers IS WRITTEN on paper tape, one inch wide with the model J shorthand machine made by RNIB of England. It is rated at 140 words per minute. A friend has one who is a Chartered Shorthand Reporter. She tried to use her machine at 200 WPM, the speed at which a judge delivers a Jury Charge the court reporter must transcribe. Her poor machine rapidly had cogs and springs start flying from it as it was not built to handle this speed.

There is also Grade III Braille, with around 500 signs, , including short form words, two-cell signs and signs the writer can create on the fly to represent words they need to note with no existing sign.

It was originally used by University students to keep up with professors writing on blackboards, now is a curiosity. Some people learn it, love it, use it extensively amongst their blind friends who also know it.

Sort of like the Esperanto Language in this respect. Once you learn grade III, you appreciate how it packs your page full of text, with no composition signs such as capitals, italic indicators, just the number sign preceding a number.

It even contracts numbers! Very versatile code.

Alas, I know of no books or magazines published in this code.

There are contracted Braille codes for other languages, French & German are two.

Some languages have no contracted Braille, such as Traditional Chinese & Japanese.

I trust this explains what contracted Braille is.

Brian K. Lingard VE3YI, Ab2JI, B. A., C. T. M.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: February 8, 2019 10:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Need help learning Braille

Paper Braille takes a lot of room so for that reason and also, I suspect, to speed up reading, there are lots of contractions for words and letters.  There is a sign for the word "the," a sign for the word "and," the contraction for the word but is the letter b, as examples.  There is an e r sign an a r sign, and an I n g sign, for examples of contractions of letter combinations.

Once you learn the alphabet, you can write all words in Braille just as you can write all words in print. I am discussing English that doesn't have accented letters.  But depending on how you want to use Braille, you may well want to learn the contractions.

Gene 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 7:44 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Need help learning Braille

Thank you guys for your encouragement! I would definitely initiate learning Braille as soon as possible. As many of you have suggested, even if I don't become proficient enough to read books, I would definitely be able to read notes and make presentations more efficiently. Also, I would like to clarify, many of you talked about contracted Braille. Is that similar to learning short hand for the sighted people?

Once again, thank you all for your feedback and support.
--
Regards
Sociohack

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.