Re: Some mouse navigation questions

AKH AKH

Hi Joseph

I've been trying to recruit an NVDA developer, but even this list hasn't
got me anywhere.  Any other suggestions.  Perhaps I should pay a friend
who has never used NVDA to learn to develop and make me an add on?

Andrew

On 14/02/2019 18:02, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi everyone,
I hope the following post clarifies a few things discussed on this thread:
* Screen readers and mouse: although both act almost the same, JAWS and NVDA
uses different techniques to let you see what's under the mouse, and for
that matter, accessing certain screen elements. Until recently NVDA had a
slight advantage in mouse navigation and announcing what's under the screen
(including announcing coordinates with beeps), but JAWS caught up with NVDA
since 2018. Announcing what's under the mouse has improved slightly in
recent versions of NVDA.
* Visualized cursor tracking: yes, both JAWS and NVDA can do this - built
into JAWS since 2018 thanks to ideas from ZoomText, requires an add-on for
NVDA, although there is a research project to integrate this and other
vision related features into NVDA.
* Feature comparisons versus bashing: to me, it depends on wording and how
the reader understood a poster's intent. Although there were initial
misunderstandings, I view Steve's post to be a genuine attempt at feature
comparisons.
* Biased or unbiased: again it depends on how one views messages. In this
case, to be clear, I think Brian V's post should be considered an answer to
the question posed (cursor tracking) from another perspective, or rather, a
visual confirmation of what some people are saying (yes, this also means
this could be considered a biased opinion, but to me, I consider it an
informative answer).
* JAWS cursor versus Golden Cursor: the intention behind JAWS cursor is to
let you interact with screen elements as though you are moving a mouse,
similar in concept to how screen review works in certain situations (when
you need to review certain areas that you can't easily with keyboard
commands). The closest equivalent after screen review in NVDA world is
Golden Cursor add-on (under maintenance at the moment), and that add-on does
physically6 (in terms of screen coordinates) moves the mouse pointer.

Overall feelings (not just this topic, but more recent ones as well):
* Level of familiarity: I think we should remember that not everyone is an
NVDA expert or a novice user.
* Source statement verification: whenever you come across a statement, I
think it'd be best to verify who said it and when so we won't get thrown
into confusion over misinformation. For example, when we talk about feature
comparisons, clarifying which version of one screen reader one is comparing
against may help folks pinpoint specifics without hunting for more accurate
statements, as we've seen from time to time (I myself have fallen to that
trap before, and I tend to take source verification seriously since I am a
member of this forum (a former moderator, in fact) and is an owner of
multiple lists).
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph