From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of AKH AKH
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

Hi Joseph

I've been trying to recruit an NVDA developer, but even this list hasn't got me anywhere. Any other suggestions. Perhaps I should pay a friend who has never used NVDA to learn to develop and make me an add on?

Andrew

On 14/02/2019 18:02, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi everyone,
I hope the following post clarifies a few things discussed on this thread:
* Screen readers and mouse: although both act almost the same, JAWS
and NVDA uses different techniques to let you see what's under the
mouse, and for that matter, accessing certain screen elements. Until
recently NVDA had a slight advantage in mouse navigation and
announcing what's under the screen (including announcing coordinates
with beeps), but JAWS caught up with NVDA since 2018. Announcing
what's under the mouse has improved slightly in recent versions of NVDA.
* Visualized cursor tracking: yes, both JAWS and NVDA can do this -
built into JAWS since 2018 thanks to ideas from ZoomText, requires an
add-on for NVDA, although there is a research project to integrate
this and other vision related features into NVDA.
* Feature comparisons versus bashing: to me, it depends on wording and
how the reader understood a poster's intent. Although there were
initial misunderstandings, I view Steve's post to be a genuine attempt
at feature comparisons.
* Biased or unbiased: again it depends on how one views messages. In
this case, to be clear, I think Brian V's post should be considered an
answer to the question posed (cursor tracking) from another
perspective, or rather, a visual confirmation of what some people are
saying (yes, this also means this could be considered a biased
opinion, but to me, I consider it an informative answer).
* JAWS cursor versus Golden Cursor: the intention behind JAWS cursor
is to let you interact with screen elements as though you are moving a
mouse, similar in concept to how screen review works in certain
situations (when you need to review certain areas that you can't
easily with keyboard commands). The closest equivalent after screen
review in NVDA world is Golden Cursor add-on (under maintenance at the
moment), and that add-on does
physically6 (in terms of screen coordinates) moves the mouse pointer.

Overall feelings (not just this topic, but more recent ones as well):
* Level of familiarity: I think we should remember that not everyone
is an NVDA expert or a novice user.
* Source statement verification: whenever you come across a statement,
I think it'd be best to verify who said it and when so we won't get
thrown into confusion over misinformation. For example, when we talk
about feature comparisons, clarifying which version of one screen
reader one is comparing against may help folks pinpoint specifics
without hunting for more accurate statements, as we've seen from time
to time (I myself have fallen to that trap before, and I tend to take
source verification seriously since I am a member of this forum (a
former moderator, in fact) and is an owner of multiple lists).
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph