Re: Problems With NVDA

Gene

However, Windows 10 does have Ram Drive, and I believe 7 and 8 do as well.  it uses a thumb drive and it actually does allow it to function as though it were RAM.  I don't know anything more about this but it might be worth discussing.

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems With NVDA

Right, and this is called virtual memory, it's not ram, and it doesn't
matter how many times you call it ram, it *isn't* ram. Virtual memory
via swap space or similar has been around since windows 3.x, and even
the earliest versions of linux (even before 1.0 versions) had swap
partitions.  That still doesn't make them ram, only virtual memory,
which isn't used for active programs, swap space is only used when a
piece of data (whether it's a program or a chunk of data) hasn't been
accessed in a while, and something that has been accessed more recently
needs the ram to work properly, then that older piece is swapped out to
the virtual memory/swap file.  That doesn't qualify as ram, because of
several factors, the least of which is that that code is no longer
executing in the ram.  Therefore, you can add as much virtual space as
you want, but that doesn't have any affect on the amount of ram you have
in your pc that is available for actually running programs.