Re: Some mouse navigation questions

Mary Otten

Hi Joseph,
As a former translator of both Russian and Arabic, I would like to point out that the word gesture in English would never be translated as command or anything like that in either of those languages. A gesture is something you do, say with your hands or maybe your head,  as in a nod. It’s a visual signal. It has absolutely nothing in the general sense to do with inputting stuff to a computer except on a touchscreen. So I don’t know how they’re translating that in other languages. But if I were translating it into Russian, I would not use the equivalent word for gesture, as it would make no sense

On Feb 15, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Hmmm, Quentin, any thoughts? I think part of the problem may have to do with attempts at carrying old assumptions forward. I’m interested in your comments, as renaming a menu item will have vast consequences for not just users and English speakers, but speakers of other languages, tutorial writers, and NVDA promoters.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 4:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

How about just "commands" YOu know, K I S S?

Take care

On 15 Feb 2019, at 16:44, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 07:38 PM, Gene wrote:

Maybe input commands, which would cover everything.

We're all getting very meta, and quickly, aren't we?

Gene, you and I are clearly on the same page.  I'd even pare off "input."  In the computing world (and even regular one, really) commands are generally thought of as input to a system/person, issued from outside.

There are definitely output commands too, but in the context of programming, which the non-programmer generally has no interest in.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back