From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 5:46 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some mouse navigation questions

Hi Joseph,
As a former translator of both Russian and Arabic, I would like to point out that the word gesture in English would never be translated as command or anything like that in either of those languages. A gesture is something you do, say with your hands or maybe your head,  as in a nod. It’s a visual signal. It has absolutely nothing in the general sense to do with inputting stuff to a computer except on a touchscreen. So I don’t know how they’re translating that in other languages. But if I were translating it into Russian, I would not use the equivalent word for gesture, as it would make no sense

On Feb 15, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Hmmm, Quentin, any thoughts? I think part of the problem may have to do with attempts at carrying old assumptions forward. I’m interested in your comments, as renaming a menu item will have vast consequences for not just users and English speakers, but speakers of other languages, tutorial writers, and NVDA promoters.

Cheers,

Joseph