Re: Competition was Re: [nvda] Is NVDA really dying? Can I do anything to help?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well I remember supernova had an ignore changes in an area thing. Problem is of curse that no two sites put that in the same place.
Another annoyance is sites that immediately start playing loud music when you go to them.
The thing is that many sighted people no longer want the clever stuff. That is for presentation web sites not commerce or those in everyday usage, yet the people writing them seem to apply their skills to creating monsters rather than usable web sites.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: Competition was Re: [nvda] Is NVDA really dying? Can I do anything to help?

Heh, you mention accessible web sites, and scrolling text and the like. I discovered way back in 1996, when I setup my web site for the first time, that folks aren't interested in plain text if there's a pretty scrolling banner nearby. I had some javascript on my site scrolling advertising offers, (yes, even in 1996, pay per click was a thing), but I took it down after trying to show the site to a library resulted in the librarian mentioning how cool the scrolling text was, and not even glancing at the rest of the site. That was my one and only experience with javascript on my own pages, I refuse to use it now, and have since that day. Call me what you like, but it's always been my opinion that the purpose of a web site is to convey information, and anything that gets in the way of conveying that information is useless.
NVDA can handle most things, but until we have a way for it to ignore scrolling banners, I fear our web browsing sessions are doomed to repeating text that has no bearing on the current page.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.