Re: CLARITY OF TERMINOLOGY AND DOCUMENTATION

Ian Westerland

Another way around the issue might be to define what the word means in context so "gesture" could be used within the contextual definition. Just a thought.

Ian Westerland

On 2/16/2019 10:51 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes we need a whole new word or phrase.
How about user input schemes or something like that?
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Bartholomew" <rlbart53@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2019 10:16 AM
Subject: [nvda] CLARITY OF TERMINOLOGY AND DOCUMENTATION

Hi,

The underlying explanation of what input gestures are is excellent and
understandable; however, for me, the issue isn't semantics per se but if the
top-level description isn't immediately obvious to the end-user, it has
failed in some way.  In this case, the word gesture implies touch screens
and, so, discouraged me from finding the time to delve into an area which I
thought wasn't relevant to me.  A personal failing I admit but we all have
demands upon our time so if we can weed out what we think are unnecessary
diversions, it's often the pragmatic way to go!

I accept that this whole area is a minefield as you can please some of the
people, some of the time, etc, etc, etc!

Good luck!

Richard Bartholomew