From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 6:05 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Office Products with UIA

Hi,
Before I show you how to do it, I'm going to warn you that, once UIA is turned off, you may experience oddities. If you feel that NVDA is acting odd for some reason, and if it turns out turning off UIA is to blame, then you MUST turn UIA on and NEVER, EVER turn off UIA again (and if you do then ask for instructions on how to turn off UIA, then I will definitely say, "sorry, I gave you warnings, but perhaps your heart didn't see it coming").
To toggle UIA support:
1. Press Control+NVDA+Z to open Python Console.
2. Type the following as exactly as I show you:

import config
config.conf["UIA"]["enabled"] = False

3. Press Enter, then press Escape to close, then restart NVDA.
4. To enable UIA, repeat the above steps, but replace "False" with "True".

The above procedure may produce side effects, such as oddities, NVDA announcing extra things or not announcing things as it should and so on. The above procedure should NEVER be attempted on Windows 8 and later because NVDA relies on UIA for crucial tasks such as announcing Start search suggestions, reading toast notifications, and for Windows 10, making your lives easier when using various Windows 10 apps (including current iteration of Microsoft Edge). You are warned.
Cheers,
Joseph