Re: CLARITY OF TERMINOLOGY AND DOCUMENTATION

Steve Nutt

Hi Joseph,

I’ll go through the menus over the next few days and try to make some useful suggestions.

I think the input thing is the most difficult to understand though, and so easy to miss the fact that it has keyboard entries in there too.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: 17 February 2019 19:22
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] CLARITY OF TERMINOLOGY AND DOCUMENTATION

Hi,

I’m interested in seeing which parts of the NVDA’s user interface appears to be difficult for everyday users. That way, we can figure out what can be done to improve it rather than pass on our own experiences alone.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2019 11:12 AM

Hi Brian,

I agree with you completely about programmers not really able to document.

Even the menu structure of NVDA that we’re talking about, was given little consideration in terms of non-geek terminology.  Writing menus, is the same in a way, as writing documentation, the menus need to be intuitive at the outset, or people won’t find or use your feature set.

All the best

STeve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 17 February 2019 18:07

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

To me, saying that programmers should not write manuals robs them of a valuable educational opportunity to communicate (I am a programmer and do write documentation).

And, to me, having been a programmer and having written documentation (that most people seem to like), I'd say that if you have no real ability to write to begin with you should not be writing documentation.  Or if you (any you, not you, Joseph) are writing it you had better be ready to subject it to editorial review by someone known to be skilled in the area.

Most programmers are horrific writers and, even worse, consider documentation to be useless grunt work.  And I'll never change that opinion based on decades of direct experience.

It's not that there are not exceptions, but that's what they are:  exceptions.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.