From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@comcast.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 3:41 AM
Subject: Re: Question on Chrome, Re: [nvda] Can we pass graphics while navigating web pages using NVDA?

I'm not sure what you were getting at here, Gene. If you want to hear
all the stuff on the page, the screen reader will do what you want. But
for most of us who want to read an article, we don't want to hear all
that junk. So reader mode is a great thing, and it can be invoked or
not, as it is part of the browser. So again, I am not sure what you are
referring to here.

Mary

On 2/17/2019 7:28 PM, Gene wrote:
But there may be times when people want to hear the page as it is when
reading. Perhaps the person wants to make sure that no related
content links are missed. Perhaps for other reasons I haven't thought
of. Just as the screen-reader has lots of settings for announcing or
not announcing information such as headings and links, it is
consistent with that design philosophy to also cause graphics to be
announced or not. The screen-reader shouldn't, by omission, steer the
user toward using a specific reading mode.
I haven't used recent versions of NVDA so I don't know if an announce
graphics has been added in document presentation settings But it
should be.
Date: Sunday, February 17, 2019, 3:53 PM

This strikes me as something that
can be taken care of outside the screen reader, rather than
by the screen reader.

Firefox and Chrome both have reader modes and support the
Read Aloud add-on/extension. I have used the latter
extensively with several of my clients since it distills
webpages to their narrative text, getting rid of embedded
links, etc. It makes it possible to go through a Wikipedia
page without losing your mind, for instance.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home,
64-Bit, Version 1809,