Re: CLARITY OF TERMINOLOGY AND DOCUMENTATION

Gene

I don't think the statement about being a native speaker when translating to or from a language is correct either way.  It depends on how knowledgeable the person is in both languages.  It is probably necessary that the person has lived in countries where both languages are spoken if you are going to translate informal language.  In the case of a user guide such as the NVDA guide, I expect you don't need the kind of knowledge of informal English you would in other cases, so living in the country is, I suspect, not necessary.  This is not ideomatic English.

Also, you don't have to be a native speaker of the languages you are either translating to or from.  You can be very fluent in a language and not be a native speaker of the language.  And there people who have the talent or ability to master languages more quickly and easily than many other people do.  You can master a language by study and by living among native speakers of a language.

Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:55 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] CLARITY OF TERMINOLOGY AND DOCUMENTATION

I believe this to be completely the wrong way round.

A professional translator should be a native speaker of the language they are
translating TO, and a very competent speaker of the language/s they are
translating FROM.

The reason is simple - they are creating their own work in the destination
language, and that needs to be flawless to another native speaker of that
language.  Anyone writing in a second language is going to make more mistakes
or come up with more curious constructions than a native speaker is.

Antony.

--
#define SIX 1+5
#define NINE 8+1

int main() {
    printf("%d\n", SIX * NINE);
}
- thanks to ECB for bringing this to my attention

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.