Trabnsklatiors, Interpreters & Revisers

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Anthony & List:

You would think the translator needs to know the language they translate into as their mother tongue, but a friend who is now a retired Translator, Interpreter & Reviser with the Debates Reporting Service tells me you want to translate from your “a” language into your B, C, and D etc. languages.’;

For example

A radio station had the slogan New York spells News.

What they really mean is New York means News or New York is always in the News.

My friend has had Spanish-speaking people say they want to translate for a law court. He said in many instances, they just do not know English well enough to translate Spanish-English. The person on trial may lose their case because they used a Spanish word with several meanings, the Judge hears the translation, but it does not reflect the subtleties of English.

I think this discussion of the subtleties of translation should be transferred to acb-chat@... or somewhere else, it is more appropriate than this NVDA list.

You do need to know both the original language and the one you are translating to flawlessly. My friend used to translate English-French, another interpreter did French-English.

He studied Spanish at one point and when he  wrote his exam one of the markers said if a speck of dust had landed on his answer book he would have become a qualified English-Spanish translator! He could likely interpret from French his “B” language into Spanish, but in the House of Commons, Parliament Hill, Ottawa, this is not recommended.

Brian K. Lingard VE3YI, Ab2JI, B.. A., C. T. M.