Re: CLARITY OF TERMINOLOGY AND DOCUMENTATION

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Gene & List:

You do require an intimate knowledge of the original language a document or dialogue is in, as well as what you are translating it into.

However, you need to know all the idioms of the language you are translating from.

People discussing the Switch in a meeting abut telephone switching machinery mean a machine capable of connecting between one and 200,000 telephone calls simultaneously, not a LIGHTSWITCH.

A meeting of railroaders may be discussing a switch used by a railroad train to go from one track to another, sometimes called Points. Points may face forward or backward depending upon the train’s direction of travel. The translator may interpret the switch to be a commutator in French, but if it is a track switch, it sure will not fit on most walls!

One day, at Bell Mobility, someone not accustomed to translating telephone jargon said in English, dial `1 plus the regional code and seven-digit number. The word in French for Area Code is Region. A more experienced translator would have said in English dial one plus the area code and seven-digit number. It would have rather been acceptable to say dial 1 plus the region and seven-digit number.

Brian K. Lingard VE3YI, Ab2JI, B. A., C. T. M.