Re: About accessable book reading apps

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

the kindle app is accessible both on windows and IOS.  I do use it (quite a lot), though I don't really like it all that much, because there's no way to backup your books, and if something happens to the amazon service, or the kindle app becomes inaccessible, you're out of luck.  I much prefer to download my books and keep them on my hd, so I can back up the books to any service of my choice.  I have one company I've been getting books from for almost 20 years, and each and every one of their books are in plain html format (they have other formats, I choose the html format because it's easiest for me), and I have never once lost a book from them, even though ZI've changed computers several times, and even had severe computer crashes, and you want to know why? because I have the capability of storing my books elsewhere such as cloud storage, external drives and the like.  And I never have to worry that I won't have access to my books anymore if they go out of business, or if they can't sell particular books any longer (as happens regularly with kindle), because I already have them, and they're saved in various places, and I can always go get another copy of my books when something happens.  Amazon, kobo, audible and others don't allow this, which is why I don't like using them.

However, for the moment, kindle works fairly well, and I have the kindle unlimited service, so I read several books a month from the kindle unlimited selections, and enjoy it very much, but even the books I purchase on kindle, I know are eventually going to be inaccessible in one way or another, it's just a matter of time.  I've already lost 5 or 6 books I bought on amazon, because I couldn't back them up, and they are no longer available for download on the kindle app.

It stinks, but what can you do.

On 2/20/2019 9:52 AM, UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu wrote:
Hello,
I know that the subject is off topic for this group, but I don't know any mailing group that it would be suitable for and I thought that discussing book reading won't hurt us. if I crowd your inbox I'm sorry.
first of all, just to satisfy my curiosity, how do you read or listen your books usually (e.g, which platform, what programs or apps, what kind of format in) and why?
for myself:
I usually get my books from Bookshare.org and read them with apple books Because it is very easy to use and acsessible.
Secondly, I like Apple books very much. it is pretty easy to use. However, it is very anoying not to be able to sencronize it with my computor or other divices. I would much prefer having a library that I can reach from everywhere. Adobe digital edditions seems promising at first but IOS app doesn't work with voiceover at all and it has some important accessibility issues in windows with NVDA wich I can tolerate if I could have used it in my phone effectively. do you have any recommendations for a free or cheap app that I can use in at least windows and IOS with singronisation? highlighting text and bookmarking is very important for me too.
I am really sorry about this long post but I think discussing this issue will be a stimulating discussion and is important.
Best regards