Re: Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

Gene

That isn't correct.  In NVDA, to search when in browse mode, the command is either insert and control. while holding those keys, type f to open the search dialog.  Repeat search is either insert and f3.

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

The screen reader works just fine with the text of the web page.  I use control-f all the time to search for things, and it always works, except when the page is loaded with javascript that yanks the focus away from the main cursor.  Any normal web page works just fine with the ergular find command.  As I said before, I've only ever used the NVDA find command a couple times.  Of course, for the most part, it's not really necessary to search for things on the web page if you use your navigation commands to get from here to there in web browsers.

On 2/24/2019 1:05 PM, Gene wrote:
The screen-reader can't work with the search built into the browser.  The page that you are reading is in a buffer where the screen-reader reformats it.

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:30 AM

So it's an option that the screen reader isn't able to deal with, is it right?
Sorry for asking too much as I am but it really got me curious.
Em 24/02/2019 14:30, Gene escreveu:
If you aren't using a screen-reader you use the actual search built into the browser itself.

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:13 AM

But, what's the point of the "search for" option built-in on the browser? How one would deal with this option not using a screen reader?
Em 24/02/2019 14:11, Gene escreveu:
You are searching using the buffer which screen-readers that use browse mode or the Virtual PC cursor use.  You aren't working directly with the page in browse mode or equivalent mode in a different screen-reader.  You must use the search command the screen-reader designates.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 10:09 AM

Hi guys,
Anyone could tell me what's the difference between these two commands?
I'm asking because using the browser command to search, nothing happens after I hit enter. On the other hand if I use the NVDA command I'll able to search for what I'm wanting to.
P.S.: Using Firefox.

Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook