Re: Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I'm not sure what you'd exect to happen, when you do a find, it's supposed to take you to the location of the found text.  That's exactly what the control-F does, and that's exactly what I'd expect it to do.  Why would I expect it to begin reading from that point, I didn't ask it to read, I asked it to find, and it does that.  If you want to read from where it puts you, use the read commands, and guess what? It starts reading, just like you'd expect.

Maybe it's my unix herritage, but when I put in a command, I expect it to do just what it's supposed to do , and nothing else.  If I tell it to find something, it's because I want to find something, not because I want to read from that found spot to the end of the document, or from the start to where the text was found, the purpose of the find command is to find text, and it does that task very well, and that' all it does, because that's all it's supposed to do.  I don't understand why you would want the command to do something else in addition to finding the text in question.  What's the point?? Especially if I'm looking for that text, because I know it's a link I want to click on, I sure don't want the screen reader to pick up and start reading down to the end of the document, I want it to find the text, and put me on it, and let me decide what to do next, whether that's click on the link, read the next line, or read to end of document, that's up to me, not the find command. It'd be kind of silly to expect anything else.

On 2/25/2019 11:07 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:51 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
Control-F (which is the standard windows find function), works in browse mode.
I truly am not certain what you mean by "works."   If by that you mean finds the search string, sure.  If you also means gives any meaningful feedback when it does so or starts reading from the instance its sitting on if you start reading, then no.

I get silence, dead silence, using Chrome find in Chrome in browse mode and I've tried it on the Commands Quick Reference page and https://nirsoft.net/ since it's very text intensive.  Also just tried it on https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/33470/Improve-website-response-times-easily-with-DNS-Settings.html with the same result.

I get nothing but dead silence as the search string is found, and found, and found and cannot make NVDA read from where the browser find has landed.

By contrast, if I use the NVDA find every time I land on the search string it's announced (along with a bit of text around it) and, if I commence reading, it goes from there and takes off.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I certainly wouldn't tell any of my students that there is an equivalence in behavior between browser find and NVDA find on every webpage on which I've done a comparison.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back