Re: Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I just verified with multiple sighted folks, and each and every one of them uses control-f when they want to find text.  Most of them don't even bother with the mouse, because control-f is the find command, so they hit the key combo instead of navigating through the menus to get to the find command.  So, feel free to use your screen reader only find command if that's what you want to do, but don't tell people that's the only to do things because you're a screen reader user, the standard windows key of control-f works and it works for everyone, screen reader user or not.

On 2/26/2019 6:46 AM, Gene wrote:
Out of curiosity, I just did another test.  I went into forms mode and used control f to search.  I pressed escape after using control f and went back into browse mode.  If you do that, you are on what you searched for.  But that is not how searching in NVDA is intended to be used.  You are intended to stay in browse mode and search using the commands I gave in my last message.

From: Gene
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:38 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

I wasn't going to respond to your last message because I hoped that someone who speaks with the authority of a developer would respond.  They still may.  I wouldn't have continued to answer when it became clear that you wouldn't believe what I said if we were not on the list.  But this is an NVDA list with users who range from beginner to advanced.  I shall therefore quote from the manual.  Maybe you will think the manual writers know what they are talking about if you insist that I don't.

I tried using control f during the debate to make absolutely sure it doesn't work in browse mode.  It doesn't.  I wasn't moved to the result I was looking for.

From the manual:
Find
NVDA+control+f
Pops up a dialog in which you can type some text to find in the current document
Find next
NVDA+f3
Finds the next occurrence of the text in the document that you previously searched for
Find previous
NVDA+shift+f3
Finds the previous occurrence of the text in the document you previously searched for

If control f could be used, don't you think it would have been stated in the manual and would be the command given?  Why give a command different from the general one used in Windows and Windows programs and a command that requires that an extra key be pressed when simply control f can be used.