Re: Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

Tyler Wood

Using control f with NVDA is by far one of the worst things anyone without sight can possibly do.

I truly do not understand how this benefits you, or anyone else, as a screen reader user.

I might as well not even bother with it. Sometimes my cursor focus doesn't stay on the relevant item, let alone the actual word I'm looking for. Pressing enter gives you 0 indication you've actually reached an item. Pressing escape (about 2 times out of 10) will focus the NVDA cursor on said item. At best, you might get to see the sentence where the word is if it's a long string of text.  Then, pressing control f once again to find next or previous item is just a futile exercise in patience.

To each their own. Pressing NVDA plus control plus f is a far cleaner, quicker, more efficient, and smarter way to do things.

On 2019-02-26 12:31 p.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 01:26 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
I just verified with multiple sighted folks, and each and every one of them uses control-f when they want to find text.
So do I.   What earthly relevance does this have?!!

I can see the highlight move from instance to instance of the string being searched for.   I can know, by sight, exactly where I am on the page.  None of this is relevant to someone using a screen reader.

Dead silence during a search is a horrible, horrible idea as far as I'm concerned.  You clearly differ, and that's fine.  It won't change my position.  I'm not going to encourage a screen reader user to use a technique I know will be problematic from the outset because they can't see.

As I've said a million times:  Tool to task  (which means appropriate tool for the person using it in the circumstance they're using it.  I could use a teaspoon to dig a ditch, but why on earth would I?!)

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back