From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 26 February 2019 18:37
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

I also use the find command on the browser at least under windows and I do hit escape. I don't mind the silene as I am yelled at if nothingn on that page is found in regard to the string I typed.

Take care

On 26 Feb 2019, at 10:31, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 01:26 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

I just verified with multiple sighted folks, and each and every one of them uses control-f when they want to find text.

So do I.   What earthly relevance does this have?!!

I can see the highlight move from instance to instance of the string being searched for.   I can know, by sight, exactly where I am on the page.  None of this is relevant to someone using a screen reader.

Dead silence during a search is a horrible, horrible idea as far as I'm concerned.  You clearly differ, and that's fine.  It won't change my position.  I'm not going to encourage a screen reader user to use a technique I know will be problematic from the outset because they can't see.

As I've said a million times:  Tool to task  (which means appropriate tool for the person using it in the circumstance they're using it.  I could use a teaspoon to dig a ditch, but why on earth would I?!)

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back