Re: Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

You answered your own question in your email.  There are several usage levels on the list, some folks are new, some are long time users, and everyone is probably at a different level on windows knowledge, never mind NVDA usage knowledge.  As a result, since the manual is a manual about NVDA, I would fully expect the manual to talk about the NVDA way to do things, since it's a manual for NVDA.  I haven't read the NVDA manual myself, but does it mention other windows keystrokes to do things when NVDA alternatives exist? If it does, and it doesn't mention control-f here, then I'd say that's an oversight that should be fixed.  If it doesn't, then I'd say it's following president, and since it's primary focus is on NVDA commands, then no mention of windows commands are necessary.

On 2/26/2019 6:38 AM, Gene wrote:
I wasn't going to respond to your last message because I hoped that someone who speaks with the authority of a developer would respond.  They still may.  I wouldn't have continued to answer when it became clear that you wouldn't believe what I said if we were not on the list.  But this is an NVDA list with users who range from beginner to advanced.  I shall therefore quote from the manual.  Maybe you will think the manual writers know what they are talking about if you insist that I don't.

I tried using control f during the debate to make absolutely sure it doesn't work in browse mode.  It doesn't.  I wasn't moved to the result I was looking for.

From the manual:
Find
NVDA+control+f
Pops up a dialog in which you can type some text to find in the current document
Find next
NVDA+f3
Finds the next occurrence of the text in the document that you previously searched for
Find previous
NVDA+shift+f3
Finds the previous occurrence of the text in the document you previously searched for

If control f could be used, don't you think it would have been stated in the manual and would be the command given?  Why give a command different from the general one used in Windows and Windows programs and a command that requires that an extra key be pressed when simply control f can be used.