Re: Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

Tyler Wood

Just to add here, the search box in question was Telegram's, not the find search box.

Though now that I say that, I just tried it again on a different website (youtube this time) and had to press escape twice to actually exit the find dialogue (which still did not function as expected).

On 2019-02-26 1:09 p.m., Tyler Wood via Groups.Io wrote:

I just tried that method here 5 times. I know the text was actually on the page - for reference, this was a telegram window in chrome. I searched for a person's name with control f. After pressing escape, I was still in the search box. Keep in mind that I was not in focus mode but I decided to arrow down a few times to get out of the search box and try again, just in case.

Still no results. Pressing control f, where the person's name still was, pressing enter, then escape still brought me to the top of the list of names - well above where that person actually was in the list. I then decided to try f3, the find next command. Not only does it put you back in the search box, by the way (NVDA plus f3 simply takes you to the next instance of that text), but it did absolutely nothing, again. My focus was still on the first person in the list.

Pressing NVDA control f and typing in the name actually placed focus on the name and I could press enter to message them without issue.

I'm sorry - This isn't false information. There is a reason why screen reader developers create specific commands for things. This is one of them.

On 2019-02-26 12:57 p.m., Gene wrote:
I have tried escape a number of times.  I'm not sure if it ever worked but it is not consistent.  I think it worked once and failed two or three times.  Besides, what is being discussed in terms of the cursor?  There is no cursor on the actual web page unless you are in an edit field.  So when something is searched for by a sighted person with control f, what happens?  Since there is no cursor, is the text placed in a certain area such as at the top of the document window?  Clearly, whatever is done, it is not reliable when used with browse mode.  I and others have reported that results are not consistent.  NVDA developers didn't go through the trouble of developing a browse mode find command just for enjoyment.  they did so because it is necessary.

Window-eyes had a separate browse mode search, JAWS does and NVDA does.

Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Differences between using the NVDA and the browser commands search on a webpage

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 01:13 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
I open a web page, hit control-F, type in what I'm looking for, press enter, then press escape,
You do realize, Travis, that you omitted that last part about pressing Escape until this very post.  And that's the pivotal trick to getting the method you use to work.

It is also, to me, a very kludgey way to get the same result that every screen reader gives you using its built-in search, and with no more key presses.  Having to press the modifier key as part of the search, rather than Escape after the search, is a heck of a lot more natural to me when working with a screen reader.

But, it's clear now that there is a technique that can be made to work if one chooses to use a straight browser search:  hitting Escape.    I still find the dead silence while I'm looking for something, particularly when that something repeats, particularly unhelpful.  I have been known, on rare occasions, to tell someone something like, "find the fifth occurrence of supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" on the page.  I find that most of them find it much easier when they can hear occurrences one through four as they search through.

To each his or her own.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back