From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 26 February 2019 15:41
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Staying in Forms for Checkboxes

Both NVDA and JAWS can be configured to stay in one mode or the other unless the user changes it by intent using keyboard shortcuts.  Both are also configured by default these days to switch from browse to forms mode when they land on a control during traversal and back to browse mode when they leave that control back to an area of straight text.

Gene has often mentioned that his personal preference is for "the old way" where the default was that you stayed in whatever mode you happen to be in until or unless you change it, no matter what you have landed on as you're making your way through the page.

It is odd that it would automatically switch to browse mode (or not leave browse mode) when landing on a control in the typical default configuration.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back